Barista Skills Intermediate Level
- *Coffee Beans – components of blend, different species/ varieties, geographic origins and typical flavor profile, processing methods, degassing
- *Workspace Management -layout of key equipment, accessories and ingredients to promote speed and efficiency
- *Grinding, Dosing & Tamping – advantages and disadvantages of ‘on demand” grinders and traditional doser grinders, effect of heat generated by grinding itself or other climatic conditions, distribution and tamping consistency
- *Extraction & Brewing – producing a balanced espresso by manipulating barista controlled variables, relationship between input and output, SCA flavorwheel terminology
- *Milk Techniques – composition of dairy milk and the role of each component, problems caused by deterioration of milk through age, temperature, milk steaming, latte art, milk prep for multiple drinks
- *Barista Menu – prepare multiple drinks and different ratios of espresso and milk
- *Hygiene, Health & Safety – organization and operational policies and procedures to keep everything in the espresso workspace safe and hygienic, risks of foodborne illness and allergies through managing personal hygiene, workplace hygiene
- *Customer Service
- *Cleaning, Maintenance and Troubleshooting
- *Café Management
Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) Coffee Skills Program (CSP) Barista Skills Intermediate Level
This Specialty Coffee Association course, Barista Skills Intermediate Level, provides a deeper understanding of the coffee itself and builds on the practical skills learnt at Foundation level. Milk techniques, including latte art, are introduced as well as health and safety, customer service and basic business. This course is suitable for people already working as baristas;
Intermediate Baristas should be able to dial in a brew recipe, make a full range of drinks with quality and speed, as well as understand the basic requirements for customer service and maintenance.
We believe it is important to have plenty of practice time. We want you to leave the class with enough hands-on practice time that you have built muscle memory and are capable of executing the skills learned with proficiency.
You will learn:
We begin at 9am, Lunch will be included (Vegan option available)
This is part of the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) Coffee Skills Program (CSP). Written exam is provided and upon passing will earn 10 points towards CSP Diploma.